- Ephesians 6:13 - Wherefore take unto you the world armour (3833) of God, that ye may be able to withstand (436) in the evil day (2250), and having done all, to stand (2476).
- Armour 3833 panoplia from 3956+3696; full armour ('panoply'):- all (whole) armour.
- 3956 all
- 3696 an implement or utensil or tool (espec. offensive for war):- armour, instrument, weapon.
- Withstand 436 anthistemi from 473+2476; to stand against, ie. oppose :- resist, withstand.
- 473 anti opposite, ie. instead or because of.
- 2476 histemi to stand.
- Stand against the evil and stand.
- The whole armour must be put on but each design teaches a different side of warfare as each teaches a different side of intercession.
- Ephesians 6:14 - Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
- Spiritual warfare requires perseverance.
- Paul says to 'stand' four times.
- Paul says to 'put on the whole armour on' twice.
- The Paul design teaches the loins girt with truth and the breastplate of righteousness.
- Loins girt with truth:
- Loins girdled allowed freedom of movement:
- Loins are the seat of reproduction.
- Loins - symbol of a disciplined mind.
- The truth sets free:
- John 8:32 - And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.
- John 1:14 - And the word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father), full of grace and truth.
- John 14:6 - Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto Father, but by me.
- Need to girdle the mind with the truth of Jesus.
- having on the breastplate of righteousness;
- Breastplate covered the heart.
- Shield to protect vulnerability of life center.
- Symbol of the barrier raised by grace and contentment.
- Righteousness means being in right relationship with God - the heart must be in right relationship with God.
- Isaiah 11:2a - And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding.
- Isaiah 11:3c - he shall not reprove after the hearing of his ears:
- Isaiah 11:4a - But with righteousness shall he judge the poor,
- Isaiah 11:5a - And righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins.
- Isaiah 32:17 - And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever.
- II Corinthians 6:4,7 - But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God..By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right and on the left.
- Truth and righteousness must be applied before standing is possible.
- First - hear the word of truth.
- Second - accept that righteousness is applied to the heart by the blood of lamb - Jesus Christ.
- Work - peace.
- Effect - quietness and assurance.
- Third - stand on faith.
- Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
- Ephesians 6:15,16 - And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
- Gospel 2098 euaggelion from 2095+32; a good message.
- 2095 well.
- 32 (to bring tidings) a messenger; esp. an angel.
- Peace 1515 (to join); peace by impl. prosperity :- quietness, rest, peace, one.
- Preparation 2091 from 2090 preparation.
- 2090 from 2092; to prepare :- provide, make ready.
- 2092 adjusted, ie. ready.
- Shield 2375 from 2374; a large shield (as door-shaped).
- 2374 prim. wood (door) a portal or entrance (the opening or closure):- door, gate.
- Faith 4102 from 3982; persuasion, ie. credence conviction, espec. reliance on Christ for salvation, constancy in such profession:- belief, assurance, fidelity.
- Quench 4570 to extinguish.
- Isaiah 52:7 - How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publish salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth.
- I John 5:4 - For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
- Bring the message of good news of peace - preach good news.
- Take the gate of persuasion, assurance - control - and quench the darts (attacks) of the enemy.
- The design of Peter controls the gate to keep the enemy from the sheep, and to keep the sheep in the sheepfold where they are fed the good news.
- Ephesians 6:17 - And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
- Protect the head with salvation.
- Helmet 4030 from 4012+2776; encirclement of the head, ie. a helmet.
- 4012 from 4008; through (all over), ie. around, with respect to.
- 4008 (to 'pierce'); through, ie. across :- beyond, farther (other side, over).
- 2776 (in the sense of seizing) the head (as the part most readily taken hold of).
- Salvation 4992 from 4990; defender or defence:- salvation.
- 4990 from 4982; a deliverer, ie. God or Christ.
- 4982 safe; to save, ie. deliver or protect :- heal, persevere, save (self), do well, be (make) whole.
- I Thessalonians 5:8 - But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
- Encircle the head (soul) with Christ the hope of salvation.
- Take the sword of the Spirit - word of God:
- Sword 3162 a knife, ie. dirk, fig. war, judicial punishment:- sword.
- The design of John teaches us to use the word as a sword and guard and protect our soul with truth.
BACK TO: Perfecting of the Saints; Intercession; EFI; THE EDIFIER
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, Ephesians 4:12
© 1993, Jacqueline L. Davis
WWW © 1999, EFI