MOTIVATIONAL GIFTING - MERCY
- Likes to show mercy.
- Manifestation of pity.
- To identify with and comfort those who are in distress.
- Senses emotional and mental needs of groups and individuals.
- A mercy motive must: (Rom. 12:15)
- Share the happiness of those who are happy - rejoice with those who rejoice.
- Enter into the grief (weep) with those who are in sorrow (who are weeping).
- Mercy motive weaknesses:
- Greatest weakness - indifference.
- Need to have moral freedom - protects from improper relationships.
- Can detect joy and sadness in people - senses full scope of emotions.
- Drawn to people who are hurting - emotional distress rather than physical.
- Sensitivity also causes emotionally and mentally hurt people to confide in them.
- Wants to remove pain and hurt from people - tries to remove source of pain - does not see benefit of pain.
- Very sensitive to words and actions that can cause pain.
- Feels empathy with misfortunes and misery of others.
- Need for deep friendships - must be mutual commitment and reaffirmed.
- Deeply loyal to friends - may react harshly to those who attack his friends.
- Drawn to mercy people most, yet are drawn to prophecy motives for firmness after experience of the cross in self life.
- Measures acceptance by physical closeness, enjoys rich fellowship.
- Has ability to sense genuine love.
- Carries a greater vulnerability to deeper and more frequent hurts from people not showing love.
- Will withdraw and close his spirit to those who are insensitive or insincere.
- Doesn't like to be firm unless has to be.
- Doesn't want to offend - must see that greater hurt and more offenses will come if not firm.
- Can detect motives of people.
- Mentally and emotionally relates to their needs and give them aid.
- Willing to spend a lot of time with one person - recognizes need for quality time to explain feelings.
- May tend to disregard needs of the whole group in preference for needs of one person.
- Dangers and misunderstandings:
- Being proud of his ability to emphasize.
- Resenting people who are not sensitive to other people's needs.
- Recognizes and reacts to insensitivity - closing spirit and cutting off relationships.
- Sensitivity to motives and attitudes may be obstacle to building relationships.
- Deep need for commitment in close relationships can cause possessive monopolizing of time and attention from others - may make greater demands on new relationships.
- Fails to show deference, fails to consider desires and needs of others, and of their friend's time.
- Being guided by emotions rather than logic.
- Tend to base their decisions on their emotion rather than Biblical principles.
- Tend to reject Biblical doctrines which seem harsh.
- Tend to react to God's disciplines causing bitterness in self.
- Do not have spiritual discernment as to why people suffer.
- May tolerate evil - needs to see people through eyes of other motive gifts.
- May avoid giving needed discipline causing lack of repentance.
- Not wanting to be firm appears as wishy-washy - a weakness which prophecy motives will react to.
- Wanting to help may be misunderstood by the opposite sex - attraction comes because of the mercy's ability to be sensitive, attentive, understanding, and responsive listener.
- Sensitivity to things that can hurt can cause mercy motives to take up an offense - especially if one being hurt is a friend.
- Discerning Spiritual Gifts, Institute In Basic Youth Conflicts
- Seven Gifts To Success, tapes, Marilyn Hickey
BACK TO: Perfecting of the Saints; Giftings; EFI; THE EDIFIER
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, Ephesians 4:12
© 1981, Jacqueline L. Davis
WWW © 1999, EFI