MOTIVATIONAL GIFTING - SERVER
- Meets the physical needs of people.
- Shows love by doing, not with words.
- Ability to see what needs to be done.
- Willing to overlook personal discomfort in order to get the job done.
- Free others to achieve their goals.
- A server must: (Rom. 12:10)
- Have genuine (kindly) love for others.
- Demonstrate brotherly love and responsibility.
- Prefer another in honor - willing to let others have the credit.
- Server motive weaknesses:
- Greatest weakness - selfishness.
- Need to understand authority; protection for the management of his time.
- Often has difficulty transforming sources of irritation.
- Remembers likes, dislikes, special days of people.
- Sensitive in discerning physical needs.
- Desires clear direction when meeting needs.
- Willing to do extras in order to get the job done - does more than expected.
- Willing to do extras to do the job "right" - details are important.
- Prefers working with person rather than for person.
- Doesn't want to be leader.
- Has difficulty in saying "no" - once asked to help, feels obligated.
- Needs to feel appreciated.
- Need oriented:
- Need oriented not people oriented - puts the task above people he is serving or his own or his family's needs.
- Wants needs met quickly.
- Tries to avoid "red tape" - will use own resources to avoid delays.
- Focuses on immediate picture - seldom sees whole picture.
- Doesn't like deadlines - can cause panic - rigid schedules needed for protection from getting side tracked.
- Stamina is not affected by fatigue - causes inner tension resulting in physical ailments especially stomach problems.
- Inability to refuse jobs causes overextension of his time - difficulty in saying "no" to authority figures especially.
- Works to demonstrate love and receive love - not a feeler, not emotional - physical show, not an emotional show of love.
- Dangers and misunderstandings:
- Being proud of his good deeds done.
- Being pushy or premature in meeting needs of people before the people realize they have a need.
- May help people before knowing if God is dealing with them - causing a conflict with God's will.
- Tasks appear more important than the one being served.
- Lets "thing" be too important - may take family for granted - may neglect self and family to help others.
- Over-emphasizing the physical to the neglect of the spiritual.
- Concentration on the physical seen as little interest in spiritual matters.
- Emphasis on physical things can cause conflicts with the Pastor's desires.
- Likes to do the work himself - to do it right and to avoid waiting.
- Has trouble delegating tasks to others.
- Impatience to help can be seen as pushing of self - trying to get in good with the boss.
- Does more work than two people - develops own time schedules and forces others to keep up.
- Becoming bitter when work is not recognized or sincerely appreciated.
- May feel misused and react in anger.
- Resents boss who is making unwise use of his time or talents.
- Angry with people who are not servers - tends to resent any one who is not physically serving.
- Reacts to people who walk right past "obvious needs".
- Can not receive service from another.
- Sensitive - easily offended when not appreciated the way they would like to be appreciated.
- Willingness to help may appear as insensitive to the desires of others to help.
- Doesn't like long range goals - may cause frustration over long range planning or continuous tasks with no visible progress.
- Discerning Spiritual Gifts, Institute In Basic Youth Conflicts
- Seven Gifts To Success, tapes, Marilyn Hickey
BACK TO: Perfecting of the Saints; Giftings; EFI; THE EDIFIER
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, Ephesians 4:12
© 1981, Jacqueline L. Davis
WWW © 1999, EFI