Genesis 2:9b - The tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
Deuteronomy 11:26-29 - Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse ---
Jeremiah 21:8b - Thus saith the Lord, Behold, I set before you the way of life and the way of death.
Matthew 6:24; Luke 16:13 - No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
- Name is different but there are only two choices:
- Choice in the garden - between the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
- Choice in the Law - between a blessing and a curse.
- Choice in the prophets - between a way of life and the way of death.
- Choice in the gospels - between God and mammon.
- Fruit of the choice made.
- Fruit of the life choice is life, light, love.
- Life in the body.
- Light in the soul.
- Love in the heart.
- Fruit of the other choice is death, darkness, despising (hatred).
- Death in the body.
- Darkness in the soul.
- Despising (hatred) in the heart.
- Man tends to make the death choice because flesh wars against spirit.
- Matthew 7:13,14 - Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
- Traits of the designs in transformation.
- John - Lust of the Eyes:
- Strong emotions produce vanity - speaking without grace or mercy.
- Robs of ability to nurture.
- Causes fruit of disgust and denial.
- Blinded to the truth - will not know goodness (beauty).
- What I feel is what counts, not what I think or will.
- Cravings - frenzy and wildness.
- Flesh takes comfort in doing and praise.
- If emotions suffer sadness + feel devalued = ash heap.
- In the flesh won't know goodness.
- Have 'niceness' not goodness.
- Key words - good versus bad.
- Kind of Pharisee - 'goody-two-shoes'.
- What matters:
- What I see.
- What I own, possess.
- Anticipating happiness.
- What I feel, feel like.
- That people 'look' the part.
- Kill vanity (accept bruising) + show, reveal the truth (Rhema + Logos) = beauty (meek and lowly).
- God's light becomes truth - then will have faith.
- Seek the Kingdom of God and God's will and finish His work.
- Need to love man - see God in man - will love God truly only as much as loves man - love of God can be seen in the degree loves mankind.
- Paul - Lust of the Flesh.
- Strong mind produces arrogance.
- Kills faith.
- Causes the fruit of disdain and hatred.
- Deaf to grace - won't know contentment - which brings joy.
- What I know that counts, not what I feel or will.
- Longing - passion and intensity (cocky).
- Flesh seeks comfort in things and works - credentials and experiences.
- If mind suffers denial + anger = mourn.
- In the flesh will not know what righteousness is.
- Have 'law' not grace.
- Key words - right versus wrong.
- Kind of Pharisee - righteous religious.
- What matters:
- What I hear.
- What people say.
- Relationship with God, growth, the anointing.
- What I know.
- People must 'be' the part (be real).
- Kill arrogance (accept chastisement) + show grace, joy = contentment, fullness of joy (love).
- God's love becomes grace, then can love.
- Rejoice at negative evidence.
- Needs to love God - will love man only as much as loves God.
- Peter - Pride of Life.
- Strong will produces pride.
- Destroys hope.
- Causes the fruit of repulsion, rejection.
- Dumb to mercy - won't know humility.
- What I want (will) that counts, not what I feel or think.
- Wanting - excitement and agitation.
- Flesh takes comfort in praise of people and things.
- If will suffers frustration + rejection = heaviness.
- In the flesh won't know truth.
- Have ideals, standards not truth.
- Key words - true versus false.
- Kind of Pharisee - traditional.
- What matters:
- What I do.
- What performance done.
- Power and control.
- What I will.
- People 'act' the part, perform.
- Kill pride (accept wounding) + show mercy (true humility) = praise.
- God's life becomes mercy - then will have hope .
- Serve God and be humble.
- Needs to love self (inner man) - will love God and mankind only as much as loves self.
BACK TO: Perfecting of the Saints; Growth Processes; EFI; THE EDIFIER
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, Ephesians 4:12
© 1992, Jacqueline L. Davis
WWW © 1999, EFI