- Prophetic counseling - goal:
- Matthew 6:22 - The lamp of the body is the eye: if therefore your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light.
- Mark 9:23-24 - Jesus said unto him, 'If thou can believe all things are possible to him that believeth.' And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, 'Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.'
- Prophetic counselors aim to clear the eye of the soul of the counselees by bringing salvation to the unbelieving soul of the believer.
- Methodology: Isaiah 61:1-3
- Preach good news unto the meek:
- Bind up the broken hearted - inner healing.
- Proclaim liberty to the captives - deliverance.
- Open the prison to them that are bound - the sanctification of the body and the transformation of the soul.
- Comfort all that mourn, appoint unto them, give unto them, remove the effects of mourning:
- Beauty for ashes - the new creation replacing the flesh.
- Oil of joy for mourning - merry heart for a broken spirit.
- Garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness - worship to supplant spiritual bondage.
- Distinctions: Prophetic counselors minister to counselees according to their gifts, spiritual maturity (age group), ministry calling and temptation area.
- Romans 12:6-8 - Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; or ministry, let us wait on ministering; or he that teacheth, on teaching; or he that exhorteth, on exhortation; he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.
- I John 2:12-13 - I write unto you, little children (babes in Christ) because your sins are forgiven for His name's sake. I write unto you, fathers (mature in Christ) because ye have known Him from the beginning. I write unto you, young men (teenagers - coming into maturity in Christ) because you have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children (spiritual children) because you have known the Father.
- Ephesians 4:11,12 - And He gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.
- I Corinthians 12:28 - And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healing, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
- I John 2:16 - For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of Father, but is of the world.
- A motivational gift is given to each believer in order to deliver the believer from himself. Each motive gift has a different eyesight and therefore the believer would be counseled with this in mind - a mercy motive would be counseled differently than a giver motive would be.
- Spiritual age would also effect the counseling - what growth stage a believer is at determines what would be required of the believer. Spiritual children would not be asked to be accountable for things that the scriptures say teenagers are to learn. We will put no other burden on counselees than the Bible says their spiritual age should be learning.
- For those entering spiritual adolescence and approaching the cross, counseling will encourage the development of their ministry calling. Maturity, training, and equipping for service should proceed stepping out into one's calling so that the service will bear much fruit and not be an offering of mixed fire, defiling those who are ministered to.
- The temptation area shows the design of the heart and therefore shows the real nature of the counselee's flesh - the root of all the the counselee's temptation to sin.
- Prophetic counselors will instruct counselees in cause and effect - law and conviction of sin (Gal. 3:24) and in grace for forgiveness of sin. (Gal. 5:7,8)
- Prophetic counselors will deal with witchcraft - both occult and flesh (Deut. 18:10-12; Gal. 5:19-21).
- Prophetic counselors will teach counselees to face their own flesh by dealing with the sins of the flesh listed in I John 2:16 - the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life.
- Prophetic counselors will deal with different hardenings of the believer's hearts (Heb. 3:12; Ezek. 36:26; Ps. 19:12,13; Rom. 11:8-11; Prov. 18:14) - the wounded spirit, hard stony hearts, roots of bitterness, slumbering spirits, etc.
- Prophetic counselors will counsel people with dysfunctional behavior such as is the result of:
- Involvement in Satanism, occult, and witchcraft.
- Sexual abuse, molestation , rape.
- Verbal, soulical (emotional, mental), spiritual and physical abuse.
BACK TO: Perfecting of the Saints; Prophetic Counseling; EFI; THE EDIFIER
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, Ephesians 4:12
© 1990, Jacqueline L. Davis
WWW © 1999, EFI