BACK TO THE GARDEN
THE THREE TEMPTATIONS
LUST OF THE EYES - wickedness, liar, seducer - this temptation is a sin against the Lord Jesus Christ.
Matthew 4:2b-4 - ..he was afterward an hungred. And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. But he answered and said, It is written, *Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. *Deut. 8:3
- Driving force - "craving", command circumstances - given dominion over circumstances.
- Tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil.
- Hungry to satisfy needs - cares of this world - "needs" sensitive.
- Tempted to command (speak, say) the cares to turn to bread (food) or to lift, go away - using Logos only and living there - need to live on Logos and Rhema - but especially Rhema.
- Tree of Life:
- Need to crave "the Word" - Jesus. John 6
- Need to live by the utterances He speaks daily.
- Motivation - "To live" - live , dwell, cohabit, enact, practice, vivid, afire, glowing:
- Teach how to live by "the Word" - Jesus.
- Must choose life over death - enthusiastically choose.
- Every cell craves "words, knowledge".
- Masters of words - sensitive to word usage - uses words as weapons.
- Must seek to be commanded by "the Word" - Jesus - learn to obey and live in His shadow.
John 4:34 - Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.
John 5:39,40 - Search the scriptures: for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.
Matthew 21:21,22 - Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and cast into the sea; it shall be done. And all things whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
LUST OF THE FLESH - hatred, usurper - this temptation is a sin against God the Father.
Matthew 4:5-7 - Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple. And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give His angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at anytime thou dash thy foot against a stone, Jesus said unto him, *It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. *Deut. 6:16
- Dark speech - must know intent and meaning behind the words.
- Part one - word meaning - cast:
- Cast - to throw violently, intensely.
- Again - back at you.
- Cast and again are synonyms.
- The word humble in II Corinthians 12:21 is related to cast.
- Humble - to depress, humiliate in condition or heart :- to cast down.
- II Corinthians 12:21 - My God will humble me among you.
- Using synonyms - Jesus fenced with Satan.
- Part two - intent - charge:
- Charge - dominion, command, enjoin (yoke), authority over.
- Over - to cross over (to pierce through, across), to cover.
- Keep - to hedge about as with thorns, ie. guard, protect, attend.
- Driving force - "take charge", command authority, spirits (God) - given dominion over spiritual world.
- Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil:
- Want to prove God's word, command it to work.
- Tempted to be presumptuous because of the word - "for it is written".
- Tree of Life:
- Need to know what is written - what it really means, read between the lines, intent - take nothing at face value.
- Need to not provoke God by taking charge, resisting His rule.
- Need to yield total dominion of self to God.
- Motivation - "Call forth" (provoke = pro - forth, voke - call) tempt, irritate, excite, stimulate, pique, quicken, arouse, stir, incense, evoke, induce:
- Teach how to walk by faith - call forth into being.
- Must "hear" and stand, hold fast to profession.
- Every cell desires glory, esteem.
- Glory - resplendence, magnificence, exult, noble.
- Glory - glorious, gorgeous, sublime, superb, magnify, extol, laud, grand, intensify, majestic, splendid, shining, brilliant, showy, excellent.
- sublime - to render finer (as in purity or excellence), to refine, to elevate.
- Esteem - regard, respect, admire, heed, care, consider.
- Must seek to glorify God - bear much fruit - accept pruning to bear more fruit.
- Angels command - call forth from heart what God wants. Angels keep (control - have custody) situations to call forth what God wants.
Psalm 91:11 - For he shall his give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways:
John 15:8 - Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit: so shall ye be my disciples.
John 15:2b - And every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
II Corinthians 12:9,10 - My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then I am strong.
PRIDE OF LIFE - deceiver, disobedient - temptation is a sin against the Holy Spirit.
Matthew 4:8-10 - Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me. Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, *Thou shalt worship the Lord Thy God and Him only shalt thou serve. *Deut. 6:13
- Hence - from this point on, away from here.
- Driving force - "Control", dominate, command people - given dominion over people's flesh - scatter or bring.
- Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil:
- Want a kingdom and the greatness that goes with it.
- Tempted to sell self to gain a kingdom.
- Tree of Life:
- Need to take dominion over Satan and flesh - not people directly - dominion over world systems - pride of life, lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes.
- Need to sell self to God and serve only Him.
- Motivation - "Worship and serve":
- Word synonym lists:
- Worship - worthiness, reverence, respect, repute, worthy, venerate, idolize.
- Serve - assist, attend, gratify, awail, suffice, promote, benefit, help, use.
- Dominion - handle, manipulate, wield, direct, rule, regulate.
- Control - dominion, power, force, energy, strength, might.
- Teach how to worship and serve God.
- Kingdom eyesight - God's kingdom instead of man's kingdom or Satan's kingdom.
- Given the keys of the kingdom - bind or loose.
- Every cell desires control, dominion.
- Must seek to be controlled by God - servant of God.
Matthew 6:33 - But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
John 12:31,32 - Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out. And I, if, I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
Lifted up = crucify - accept His crucifixion and draw all men unto Him.
Ephesians 6:5-8 - Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; not with eye-service, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart; with good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: knowing that what-soever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.
Singleness - sincerity, without dissimulation or self-seeking or copious bestowal.
Heart - thoughts, emotions, will, middle (soul).
BACK TO: Perfecting of the Saints; Back to the Garden; EFI; THE EDIFIER
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, Ephesians 4:12
© 1992, Jacqueline L. Davis
WWW © 1999, EFI