THE WAY OF THE CROSS
TRAITS OF THE CHILD
'young ones' - paidion 3813 - child, young one
- I John 2:13c - I write to you, young ones, because you have known the Father. (know that they are sons and heirs)
- I John 2:18 - Young ones, it is the last time: and as you have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
- I John 2:20,21 - But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things. I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.
- I John 2:26 - These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
- I Corinthians 14:20a - Brethren, be not children in understanding.
- Luke 18:16,17 - But Jesus called them unto Him, and said, 'Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.'
- Galatians 4:1-6 - Now I say, that the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all; but is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father. Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world: but when the fullness of time was come, God sent forth His Son, made of a woman, made under the Law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
- Ephesians 4:14 - That we henceforth be no more children tossed to and fro, and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and the cunning craftiness, where-by they lie in wait to deceive. But speaking the truth in love, may grow up unto Him in all things, which is the Head, even Christ.
- Psalm 78:5,7,8 - For He established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children. That they might set their hope in God and not forget the works of God, but keep His com-mandments: and might not be as their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation that set not their hearts aright, and whose spirit was not steadfast with God.
- Proverb 6:16-19 - These six things doeth the Lord hate: yea seven are an abomination unto Him, a proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood. An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, a false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
LESSONS THE SPIRITUAL CHILD SHOULD LEARN:
- Know he/she is a child of God.
- Be not children in understanding.
- Tossed to and fro.
- Carried by every wind of doctrine.
- Easily deceived - seduced.
- Speak the truth in love - grow up in Christ.
- Holy Spirit is teaching that Jesus is the truth - no lie is of the truth.
- Learning the Word - God is beginning to deal with stubbornness.
TRAITS OF THE SPIRITUAL CHILD:
- Two phases.
- Terrible 'two's' - hates the word 'NO'.
- School age - learning the Word.
- Talks about the Word but not studying it himself.
- Learning what the Word says from others.
- Seeking the truth.
- Susceptible to tangents of falsehood.
- Restlessness not stability.
- Uncommitted - unable to commit.
- Fear authority.
- Quarrelsome - stubborn - idolators of self - iniquity. I Samuel 15:23
- Sows disunity.
- Sand paper to be around.
- Disobedience - irresponsible - lawless - doing their own thing, their own way.
- Wants what sees but unwilling to pay price.
- Doesn't know spiritual things have price tags.
BACK TO: Perfecting of the Saints; Way of the Cross; EFI; THE EDIFIER
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, Ephesians 4:12
© 1981, Jacqueline L. Davis
WWW © 1999, EFI