PHASE ONE - grace #1 - judgment on what flesh hides behind - to produce gratitude, thankfulness - gratitude = grateful = thankful = grace.
John 1:14 - And the word was made flesh, and dwelt among us (and we beheld His glory, the glory of the only begotten of Father) full of grace and truth.
- What is hidden behind.
- John - fig leaves.
- Disengages soul - lives in a dream world of images - locks out reality.
- Loves himself - proves his love of God by seeing God in man and loving mankind.
- Will learn favor, kindness, and nurture.
- Paul - trees.
- Builds a wall around his heart - keeps God and man out.
- Withholds love - hates everyone - must love God wholly - will love man only as much as he loves God.
- Will learn acceptance, approval and love.
- Peter - blameshifting.
- Puts people between him and God - blaming people for his disobedience, failure.
- Hates himself - proves his love of God and man by loving himself (his inner man) - will love God and mankind only as much as he loves himself.
- Will learn pardon, mercy and be valiant.
- Process of phase one - perfection - using II Pet. 1:3-11.
- Faith (persuasion, ie. credence, moral conviction of the truthfulness of God) - dominion of the Trinity.
- John - submit to the Lord Jesus.
- Paul - yield to God the Father.
- Peter - obey the Holy Spirit.
- Virtue (manliness, valour, ie. excellence) - the cross according to design - Isaiah 53.
- John - bruised for iniquity.
- Paul - chastised for peace.
- Peter - wounded for transgression.
- Knowledge (the act of knowing) - goodness, righteousness, and truth.
- John - must learn what goodness really is.
- Paul - must learn what righteousness really is.
- Peter - must learn what truth really is.
- Temperance (strong in a thing, masterful) - to produce gratitude - Isaiah 53.
- John - afflicted to know goodness.
- Paul - smittened to know righteousness.
- Peter - strickened to know truth.
- Patience (cheerful or hopeful endurance, constancy - to stay under, bear, remain, have fortitude) - full of grace and truth - joy in suffering.
- John - grace straight to the heart, needs truth.
- Paul - truth straight to the heart, needs grace.
- Peter - needs grace and truth to understand in the heart.
- Godliness (piety, gospel scheme, well reverence, pious) revere God + submit to man = quiet and peaceful life.
- Cross point in process - phase one - perfection.
- Brotherly kindness (fraternal affection - fond of brothers) - in honor preferring one another.
- John - edify others (I Cor. 10:23b).
- Paul - do what is expedient (I Cor. 6:12;10:23a).
- Peter - seek things of others (I Cor. 10:24).
- Love (to love - love, ie. affection or benevolence, spec. a love feast) - lay down life for brethren.
- John - love Jesus - cover and nurture others.
- Paul - glorify Father - embrace pruning - suffering.
- Peter - worship Holy Spirit - serve and wash feet.
Reference: What Shall This Man Do, Watchman Nee
BACK TO: Perfecting of the Saints; Growth Processes; EFI; THE EDIFIER
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, Ephesians 4:12
© 1992, Jacqueline L. Davis
WWW © 1999, EFI